Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Ten Word Tuesday (3-1-16)

1.  Bissextus
The extra day added to the calendar every fourth year
(Meaning yesterday)
Noun, Latin
I actually have a friend who was supposed to be born on the bissextus. She wasn't. Oh, that means her birthday is coming up...
Image result for leap year
2. Glean
To gather little by little
VERB 
The word glean dates back to the 14th century
Honestly, I can't think of a very good analogy, so if you have one, stick it in the comment

3. Natter
To talk or chatter without cease
verb
This used to be me. 
This still is me. 

Image result for Talk
4. Premiate
To grant or award a prize to
Originates from medievil latin  praemiāre, meaning 'to reward'
Verb
In  Family Olympics (The Water Division), the first place, hand-sewn ribbon was given to the main character (whose name I cannot remember)  
Image result for Prize
5. Internecine
Mutually Destructive
Yes, the nuclear bomb was defiantly internecine. But there is one person I can think of when this word comes to mind...Not as bad as the Nuclear bomb, but still internecine... in  a good way. 
Adjective- In-ter-knee-scene
Image result for nuclear bomb

6. Supercilious
A person or facial expression that is haughtily disdainful makes someone supercilious. 
A supercilious face. 
ADJECTIVE
This is sometimes me when I disapprove of something, but I can picture my sisters and a number of other people's supercilious faces.

7. Parapraxis
The slip of a tongue or a pen
Ever said something that made you feel guilt beyond guilt? That's what I like to think when I think of parapraxises. 
8. Salubrious
In favor of health
I'm still sort of confused by this ADJECTIVE with a latin origin- in Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, it speaks of salubrious air. 

9. Prepossessing
Engaging or attractive
ADJECTIVE
I like this word. Can't wait to use it in every day speech and writing! 
"Lusis was a very prepossessing person. He had dirty blonde, neatly cut hair and always wore clean shoes. Skyler always bragged about it. I, on the other hand, was attracted to Jonothon Ibbit, who wore shoes with mud caked on the bottom."
-Roslyn Royel, Life in Mill Halley to come
Image result for flowers

10. Redintegrate
to make whole again, or restore
A late middle English or Latin verb
red-in-te-great

No comments:

Post a Comment