Pages

Monday, March 28, 2016

Life in Mill Halley (9)

**********Skyler Foster**********
Poetry

          Fourth grade started with Linnette and I being sorted into Ms. Hammond’s class. Ms. Hammond had a round belly and walked around with a cane. Everyone dreaded their name on her roster. Roslyn and Ginger’s hopes soared over the next few days with the glee of their luck to be in Ms. Stewart’s class. Ms. Stewart was young and had straight brown hair that she pulled back in a ponytail.
        The first day of school, Ginger and Roslyn had no homework but Linnette and I had a poem to write about our favorite things. I had never written a poem. Linnette came over for dinner, and while we waited for the spaghetti to boil, we talked about what we would write about. I decided that weather would be a good place to start. Linnette said that poetry needed a strong feeling behind it. I imagined the sun on my face, then the pitter-patter of rain. It was strong. I could almost smell the rain.
        After dinner, we settled in the kitchen. I took my number two pencil and placed the tip on my paper to write.
Summer Evenings
Suns last rays
Shine on my face
Soaked up by skin
Summer Sun

Rainy Saturdays
Pitter Patter of drops
Puddles building
I tug a rain boot on
Rainy Saturdays

Cloudy Mornings
It’s not about to rain
You can tell
But the clouds
Put a damper on all else
Cloudy Mornings

No comments:

Post a Comment