Pages

Friday, March 25, 2016

Camp NaNoWriMo Series- Writing Themes

When writing for NaNoWriMo or Camp NaNoWriMo, I like to listen to music. Each novel has different music. For Behind the Rebel Mask, I had a medieval soundtrack that really inspired me. For Summer in Spring Heights, I found a CD with some good music, but all of that has lyrics. 

This morning, I spent some time looking for a soundtrack and found this one. So take some time to find your soundtrack for your novel. I know there are some 'Epic Soundtracks' on YouTube that might inspire adventure or fantasy novels, but use your imagination! 

Once you find your soundtrack, push play and begin writing backstory for your novel. Maybe it is the antagonists' becoming, or your protagonists' childhood. Maybe it is an extended summary, or even a description of the land where you will spend a month writing. 

I will be composing a piece on Emerson, my supporting character. I'm just going to say, this will be a BIG spoiler for those of you hoping to read the book, so be careful...

Before you begin reading, go ahead and turn one of the songs on. I have to say that the first one is more for Savannah and April, whereas the second one is more for Emerson



I was ten when I began  the plan. I knew the tree- that big one, where if I tried to hug it, my fingers wouldn't touch- I knew the design. I would hollow it out, leaving a door only wide enough so I could enter sideways, and then dig down, making a hole only about as big as our dining room. I would have to chop the roots as I went and only hope that the tree wouldn't die.

Inside the tree, I would nail a platform so that I could stand there to work my way down. Perhaps I would find a way to add stairs when I was trapped there in the winter.

As I said, I was ten. I knew that I needed to get out of my house, because my parents- my rich, accountant parents with millions of dollars in inheritance- were threatening to put a pole down my back- metaphorically, of course. Meaning I was about to get a nanny. I complained a lot. Nanny's were so old school, after all, but my parents were old school.

I began sneaking money out. First it was quarters from the change jar, then dollars from mom's purse. I don't think she noticed even though her wallet balance was slightly off and she was an accountant. To decrease suspicion, I saved my allowance in a peach tin that I kept in my pillowcase. Every Friday night, I would drop 10 quarters into the tin before rolling over to sleep.

----------------------------------------------------More to Come----------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment