Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

Life in Mill Halley (8)

~~~~~~Roslyn Royel~~~~~~

~~~~~~~It Never Hurts to Have a Friend~~~~~~

 

I sort of lucked out with the pastels. The next day, Linnette was vomiting all over and Skyler was visiting with her grandmother. Instead, Ginger and I hiked over to the park where Ginger played soccer last night. She kicked her ball happily as we trotted down the brick sidewalk on Hamilton Street.  She brought up the subject abruptly.

“What are you going to do about those pastels?”

“They’re tempting.” I respond. “But I’ll get in trouble.”

“So?” She asks it like a plead for more information instead of a question.

“I’ll wait for permission, I guess. But they are so tempting!” I let out a whine that sounds shriller than I was expecting. Ginger ignores it, and turns to face me.

“Don’t do it. Cover the red saran wrap with a painting or a drawing of something cool. I don’t care what, just forget what’s under there. And next time Linnette and Skyler ask about it, make sure you check with me and your parents before lifting the cover.  

I nod as we approach the crossing. Together, we cross Jackson Road and enter the green paradise. She sprints to the goal, slides in the mud, and attempts to score a goal. It hits the goal posts and bounces back. Ginger bounces back up to her feet, and though her forest-green shorts are now darkened with mud, runs in for another attempt.        

No comments:

Post a Comment