Pages

Friday, February 5, 2016

Evening Writing

Last night I got out a notebook to write, so this is only part of a potential story. What do you think? Please give positive and constructive criticism so I can improve!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------          The field lays out ahead of me, covered in the leafy green plants, climbing over earthen hills. The sun hovers above the horizon, almost wondering whether to dive under the earth to take a break from lighting up Airavia all day.
       I turn, rest the hand woven basket on my side, and walk away from the sun through a cluster of trees. Beyond the wood are the Mieno Octel housing units, eight of them formed around a dust courtyard littered with wild animals to the Mieno Octel's market stands.
       I trod past a stray cat as I cut through a narrow alley to the front steps of the Unit. We lived on the third floor of a three-story building, meaning that I have to climb two flights of stairs to reach our level, and with the basket full of vegetables on my hip the climb was always difficult.
       I enter the earthen room and set the basket down on the dirt floor. The walls pile up from me, bricks stacked on by one about a hands length tall and two hands wide. Bits of grass and leaves stick out, giving the room a messy feel, and summing up our family.
       Omam picks up the basket, sets it on the table, and gets to work chopping an onion. I lead against the wall and sit on the packed ground, but it is impossible to relax. My six sisters and brothers are dashing around the three-room sect, tripping over each other, our belongings, and me. I stand up after I've been tripped over several times and make my way to the table where I pick up a knife and set to work chopping a potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment