Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

Life in Mill Halley- 5

      “Lusis and Linette, written test tomorrow.” We file out to the yellow tiled hallway.”











------------Linnette Birdie------------
My First Encomium
I was worried that night. I studied just to show my parents that I wanted to win, but didn’t really study and instead scammed the words. The next day, I met up with Lusis Karmackle on the playground.
“Win, Linnette,” He whispers.
“I can’t. You deserve it.”
“No, you.”
“Let’s both get the words right.”
“If we can.”
We shake pinkies. It’s a promise. I must stick to my word.
______________________
But Lusis doesn’t. He misspells several words, but only barely. He showed me at recess, acting sad. But I can’t be sure. He seems a bit glad that I won with my A+ paper, but I am sad that it wasn’t a tie. It puts our lunch table into a solemn mood, and at recess I read my book while Skyler, Ginger, and Roslyn play spider-monkey with Lusis, Jonothon Ibbit, and Micah Jonas in their usual insouciant way. I notice Lusis doesn’t hang from the monkey bars, like he normally does, but instead crouches underneath the slide.
My parents brighten up my mood. They take me for ice cream and congratulate me countless time. Afterwords we watched an old comedy.  I laughed a ton, and fell asleep during the credits. It was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment