Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Life in Mill Halley-6

~~~~~~Roslyn Royel~~~~~~

~~~~~~~I Pick Up a Brush~~~~~~~

            When I started third grade, I had no idea this was the year of my budding career. I enjoyed finger painting, water colored occasionally at Ginger's house, but never owned a set of art supplies. That year, my grandmother sent me an art set. It was blue, plastic, with a handle that snapped shut. Inside were two black plastic trays. One held crayons and watercolors with a two-sided brush, the other colored pencils and pastels. The pastels were instantly covered with a sheet of red saran wrap- Mom said they would get my hands too messy.
            This was the beginning of my life. I painted every second possible. My parents were so proud of me. I actually did something productive now! But whenever I opened my art set, there were the pastels, shining at me from behind the sheet of red. It was hard enough not to lift the red sheet. I probably did that every day. The plan hatched on the way home from school. It was Skyler's idea, but I followed through.
             "What 'bout those pastels, Roslyn?" She asked out of the blue on a Thursday afternoon in a singsong tone that she only used in front of close friends.
              I remember she said pastels like pass-tells. I ignore it and reply, "I can't wait to use them," buy Skyler's face doesn't react. Instead, we walk a couple of feet in silence.
              "Why don't you?"
               "Rules," I sigh.
               Sklyer and Linnette laugh, but Ginger continues her usual bouncy walk, red pigtails flying like she hasn't heard a word of the conversation.
               "Just break the rules!" Linnette states.
               "You can't get caught!"
               Ginger halts and spins on spot to face us. "You will get caught. Like when I tried cutting my tooth out in kindergarten? I got in trouble, but not by mamma and dad."
               "How can you get caught using pastels. They're just like crayons!"
               "Sure," Ginger shrugs. "See you in a month." She turns and crosses the street, a car skidding to a stop to let her by.
               "See you tomorrow." I sigh and mount the stairs to my house.
               "Roslyn!" Sklyer calls from the sidewalk. I turn, mid stride. "Pastels tomorrow?"
               "Maybe!" I call, and disappear into the home.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment