Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Summer Midnights

In the summer
Evening will come
I'll sit on the dock
Till the sun comes down
The stars will come out
and dot the sky
And it will be
Just you and I.

     I click the button on the flashlight and look up from where I sit. The beach stretches out around me, and the moon hangs from a piece of fishing line harnessed in some other galaxy. Dad sits down next to me.
     "Do you ever imagine, somewhere on that livable planet just waiting for society to arrive, there sits a girl on a beach with her father sitting by her side, and they compare a poem to their stars and the sun they read about to their sun?."
     I giggle with a contented happiness. This was a fantasy dad and I always dreamed of.
     "And they'll look into the vast landscape of stars and point to one saying, 'Do you ever imagine, somewhere on that livable planet just waiting for society to arrive, there sits a girl on a beach with her father sitting by her side, and they compare a poem to their stars and the sun they read about to their sun?'"    
     "It's a paradox. It seems to contradict itself, but it may be true." Dad stands up and turns to return to our tent. I reread the poem.

In the summer
Evening will come
I'll sit on the dock
Till the sun comes down
The stars will come out
and dot the sky
And it will be
Just you and I.

You and I. 
You and I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment