Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

#WritingWednesday WRITING WORKSHOP

         This past weekend I had the privilege in going to a writing workshop at our public library. Everyone there was older than me. I stuck out like a sore thumb if you saw the picture, but I felt perfectly comfortable, except for when asked to tell my story.
           The topic was storytelling, which I am a fail at. I struggled desperately. I have taken away that storytelling doesn't have to be word-for-word like a book, but more directed at the audience. It is less painting a picture in storytelling than it is in writing. If you try quoting from a book, your tale may become too long and boring. In the beginning, I awkwardly told my story like reading a book, thinking about each and every word instead of telling like a natural. My newness was obvious.
           After a few cookies, a cup of tea, and listening to my partner tell her story, I felt comfortable. But the time was over quickly. It felt great giving feedback and listening to brand-new ideas.
           I am now officially on their email list and am looking forward to the next workshop- Creating Worlds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment