Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Book Review: Where Am I Now?

Image result for Where am I now?
          I recently (as in one minute ago) finished the book Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson, childhood actress that didn't go bad. Because this book really changed my thoughts on childhood performers, OCD, and so, so much more!
          I just have to review it.
          So, pretty much, the book opens with a prologue where Mara talks about watching a video of herself on YouTube of a memory she no longer has. She skims briefly over her feelings of child acting, and then dives into chapter one.
          As the book continues, Mara weaves the story of her life- from films to emotions, from boys to her life today. She talks about the death of her mother and the death of Robin Williams. She talks about show choir and boarding school. You would think she is telling you everything. And, well, who knows?
          I really loved this book. Sure, some parts of it got a little...edgy, but when it wasn't, I loved it. It was so hard to put down! Reading it sends a wave of emotions in your direction- sadness, joy, anger, sympathy. I love how Mara is so relatable. I would just be reading and think, I've felt that way, too. And then I got filled with such happiness.
          Now, whenever I see a picture of Mara Wilson, or see the movie Matilda sitting in our downstairs TV cabinet, I think, Movie stars have feelings too that can't be overlooked. I see a person that has gone through struggles. I see a woman who is hardly any different than I am. And I really liked how this memoir taught me so much.
          For my star rating? This is a hard one. I probably should give it a four our of five stars. My favorite books normally get 4.5, but this one would loose half a point for the edgy parts.  I would definitely recommend it to anyone. So go and read Where Am I Now?!
1 Star- Terrible
2 Stars- Meh.
3 Stars- Good.
4 Stars- Great Read!
5 Stars- Is it possible to write a book that good?


No comments:

Post a Comment