Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

#Writing_Wednesdays Read Good Books- Write Good Books

Have you ever noticed that when you read a book for a while, you tend to think like the characters for a while afterwards? For instance, the book Ninth Ward is narrated in a very choppy, descriptive style. I really like it, but a few years ago I was reading it out loud a lot, and I realized that what I said and my thoughts were in that style. I would think choppy, descriptive things.

That is just one example of how books affect us. If I read Junie B. Jones for my entire life, I'm not going to be a very good writer because I haven't been exposed to good writing. Now, If I only read Harry Potter, then I will only be exposed to that genre, therefore not knowing how to write other genres and styles.

My point here is to vary what you are reading. Expose yourself to different genres. Now, I am not so good at that and make a point to read different books in between my Harry Potter loops, but it is definitely a good goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment